Central Park is a 159-acre park that sits between the blocks of 116th Street, 111th Street, College Ave., and Westfield Blvd. The Monon Greenway runs straight through the center of the park.
Besides housing the Monon Community Center and The Waterpark, this park boasts over 6 miles of trails that wind through native prairies, wetlands and woodlands. Each step in this park creates an opportunity to exercise and connect with nature.
The picnic grove houses shelters with grills, picnic tables and a waterless restroom facility. For those who enjoy wheels with their recreation, there is a state of the art skate park with plenty of rails, ¼ pipes and even a bowl to grind on, do kick-flips or ollies. For the dog lover, there is a 2-acre dog run on the north side of the park, with picnic shelters and restroom facilities.
Formerly West Commons, Westermeier Commons was renamed in honor of Mark Westermeier who served as Carmel Clay Parks & Recreation director for 15 years.
The playground at Westermeier Commons has a futuristic design and offers children more than 25 thousand square feet of play space. The structure is nestled into the side of a hill and incorporates universal design principles to encourage inclusion. Children using wheelchairs have access to lower- level amenities as well as upper-level features with the use of ramps. The playground also offers three cave-like areas to provide respite for children who need quieter spaces during play.
Adjacent to the playground is a splash pad, which was designed to match the nature that surrounds it. Spray features and geysers resemble cattails, flowers and animals. The splash pad provides relief from the heat and continues our commitment to use environmentally friendly water management. In addition to the play space in the park, Westermeier Commons has picnic shelters, restrooms, outdoor classroom space, open meadow, a lagoon and boardwalk.
Unlike Manhattan’s skyscraper-filled oasis, Carmel’s Central Park East Woods offers a natural escape that will have you questioning if you’re even close to a city. This side of the park boasts over 3 miles of trails that go between native prairies, wetlands and woodlands. The trails in East Woods offer connecting trails to the Monon Greenway.
Location1235 Central Park Drive East
- Splash Pad
- Prairie Grass
- Drinking Fountain
- Soft Surface Trails
- Paved Trails
- Picnic Shelter (with electricity)
- Year-round Restrooms
- Bike Rack
- Monon Community Center
- The Waterpark
- Dog Park
General Park Rules
For the safety and enjoyment of everyone, please follow these rules and courtesies
- PARKS ARE OPEN SUNRISE TO SUNSET EXCEPT FOR APPROVED ACTIVITIES
- PARKS ARE TOBACCO, ALCOHOL AND DRUG-FREE ZONES
HELP KEEP YOUR PARKS BEAUTIFUL
- Bag and dispose of pet waste
- Place all litter in appropriate trash containers
- Drive and park only on roadways and designated parking areas
- Wildlife and vegetation should not be disturbed
HELP KEEP YOUR PARKS SAFE
- Pets are not permitted in playgrounds, spray parks, water features or buildings
- Adult supervision recommended for children in playgrounds and spray parks
- Report inappropriate conduct to Carmel Police
- Motorized vehicles are not permitted on trails or park grounds
- Fires are permitted only in permanent park-provided grills
- Swimming, wading and ice fishing are not permitted
- Skateboards, bicycles, and rollerblades are not permitted in shelters, buildings or on playgrounds
HELP KEEP YOUR PARKS FUN
- Keep all pets leashed
- Exercise pets on a leash no longer than 6 feet
- Avoid playing loud music that disturbs others
- Soliciting or use of parks for profit is prohibited without a permit
- Fishing is permitted with fishing license (required for those 18 and over only). May keep 5 total 14″+ Largemouth Bass or 10 total Channel Catfish at any size. Click here for more information.
- Help keep wildlife wild – Please do not feed waterfowl or wild animal
For the full list of park rules, please click here.
Report inappropriate conduct to Carmel Police: 317.571.2580
Report maintenance concerns to Carmel Clay Parks & Recreation: 317.573.4044