Central Park is a hub for recreation and exploration. The 159-acre park sits between the blocks of 116th St., 111th St., College Ave., and Westfield Blvd.
The park houses CCPR’s state-of-the-art facilities the Monon Community Center and The Waterpark. These spaces provide endless recreation and fitness opportunities for the community.
It is also a park that provides over 6 miles of trails that wind through native prairies, wetlands, and woodlands. Each step in this park is an opportunity to connect with nature, whether you’re exploring the trails within the park or passing through on the Monon Greenway, which runs straight through the center of the park.
Formerly West Commons, Westermeier Commons was renamed in honor of Mark Westermeier who served as Carmel Clay Parks & Recreation director for 15 years.
The playground at Westermeier Commons has a futuristic design and offers more than 25 thousand square feet of play space. The play structure is nestled into the side of a hill and incorporates universal design principles to encourage inclusion. Children using wheelchairs have access to lower-level amenities as well as upper-level features with the use of ramps. The playground also offers three cave-like areas to provide respite for children who need quieter spaces during play.
Adjacent to the playground is a splash pad designed to match the nature that surrounds it. Spray features and geysers resemble cattails, flowers, and animals. The splash pad provides relief from the heat and continues our commitment to using environmentally friendly water management.
Westermeier Commons also offers picnic shelters, restrooms, outdoor classroom space, an open meadow, a lagoon, and a boardwalk.
Unlike Manhattan’s skyscraper-filled oasis, Carmel’s Central Park East Woods offers a natural escape that will have you questioning if you’re even close to a city. This side of the park boasts over 3 miles of trails that wind through a variety of ecosystems including native prairies, wetlands, and woodlands. The trails in East Woods offer connecting trails to the Monon Greenway.
Carmel Creek winds through the East Trails of Central Park. It is a great spot to spy wildlife and learn more about our watersheds.
Location1235 Central Park Drive East
- Splash Pad (open 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Memorial Day-September 30)
- Prairie Grass
- Drinking Fountain
- Soft Surface Trails
- Paved Trails
- Picnic Shelter (with electricity)
- Year-round Restrooms
- Bike Rack
- Monon Community Center
- The Waterpark
- Dog Park
General Park Rules
For the safety and enjoyment of everyone, please follow these rules and courtesies
- PARKS ARE OPEN SUNRISE TO SUNSET EXCEPT FOR APPROVED ACTIVITIES
- PARKS ARE TOBACCO, ALCOHOL AND DRUG-FREE ZONES
HELP KEEP YOUR PARKS BEAUTIFUL
- Bag and dispose of pet waste
- Place all litter in appropriate trash containers
- Drive and park only on roadways and designated parking areas
- Wildlife and vegetation should not be disturbed
HELP KEEP YOUR PARKS SAFE
- Pets are not permitted in playgrounds, spray parks, water features or buildings
- Adult supervision recommended for children in playgrounds and spray parks
- Report inappropriate conduct to Carmel Police
- Motorized vehicles are not permitted on trails or park grounds
- Fires are permitted only in permanent park-provided grills
- Swimming, wading and ice fishing are not permitted
- Skateboards, bicycles, and rollerblades are not permitted in shelters, buildings or on playgrounds
HELP KEEP YOUR PARKS FUN
- Keep all pets leashed
- Exercise pets on a leash no longer than 6 feet
- Avoid playing loud music that disturbs others
- Soliciting or use of parks for profit is prohibited without a permit
- Fishing is permitted with fishing license (required for those 18 and over only). May keep 5 total 14″+ Largemouth Bass or 10 total Channel Catfish at any size. Click here for more information.
- Help keep wildlife wild – Please do not feed waterfowl or wild animal
For the full list of park rules, please click here.
Report inappropriate conduct to Carmel Police: 317.571.2580
Report maintenance concerns to Carmel Clay Parks & Recreation: 317.573.4044