Monon Boulevard Detour
On or after Monday, Sept. 18, a portion of Monon Boulevard south of Elm Street will be closed due to work on the cell tower. The west side of the boulevard and greenway will be closed from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. on weekdays and will reopen on evenings and weekends. The closure is expected to last through Sept. 29 but is subject to change.
Monon Greenway South Trailhead
Wednesday, Sept. 20- Thursday, Sept. 21 the Monon Greenway South Trailhead parking lot (1430 E 96th St) will be closed for asphalt repairs.
The Monon Trail is an asphalt trail that stretches from the town of Westfield south to downtown Indianapolis. Carmel’s section – the Monon Greenway – runs five miles from 146th Street to 96th Street.
The Monon Greenway replaced the old railroad that used to run straight through Carmel. The greenway is lined with lovely wooded areas. There are several rest stops along the greenway with water fountains and restrooms to make outdoor exercise more convenient.
The Monon Greenway is pet-friendly! Along the greenway, you’ll find pet-sized water fountains and dog waste areas with trash bags. All we ask is that animals are on a maximum six-foot leash and you pick up after your pups. Thank you!
Monon Boulevard is the newly renovated section of the Monon Greenway between 126th and Main Street that was designed as an urban trail corridor. This section serves as an interactive play area for kids of all ages, featuring a spray plaza, public art, ping-pong tables, bocce ball courts, and corn hole. As you take a stroll in this section, you’ll also run into Midtown Plaza (4th Street SW) which features numerous restaurants and businesses and is managed by the City of Carmel.
Carmel Clay Parks & Recreation is working with the Carmel High School Art Department to design and paint murals inside four Monon Greenway pedestrian tunnels, with prep work well underway for the first one at City Center Drive. Read more.
Please practice trail safety along the Monon Greenway. To keep trail users safe, we request that you obey posted traffic signs and stop at all crosswalks and intersections. Please be aware vehicular traffic does not stop at these intersections.
There are trailheads and parking lots at Rohrer Road, 96th Street, and near the Monon Community Center. With all this accessibility, who wouldn’t choose to walk, run, blade or bike on the Monon Greenway?
Location96th North to 146th Street
- Paved Trail
- Drinking Fountains
- Bike Rack
General Park Rules
For safety and enjoyment of everyone, please follow these rules and courtesies
- PARK OPEN SUNRISE TO SUNSET EXCEPT FOR APPROVED ACTIVITIES
- PARKS ARE TOBACCO, ALCOHOL AND DRUG FREE ZONES
- HELP KEEP YOUR PARKS BEAUTIFUL
- Bag and dispose of pet waste
- Place all litter in appropriate trash containers
- Drive and park only on roadways and designated parking areas
- Wildlife and vegetation should not be disturbed
- HELP KEEP YOUR PARKS SAFE
- Pets are not permitted in playgrounds, spray parks, water features or buildings
- Adult supervision recommended for children in playgrounds and spray parks
- Report inappropriate conduct to Carmel Police
- Motorized vehicles are not permitted on trails or park grounds
- Fires are permitted only in permanent park-provided grills
- Swimming, wading and ice fishing are not permitted
- Skateboards, bicycles, and rollerblades are not permitted in shelters, buildings or on playgrounds
- HELP KEEP YOUR PARKS FUN!
- Keep all pets leashed
- Exercise pets on a leash no longer than 6 feet
- Avoid playing loud music that disturbs others
- Soliciting or use of park for profit is prohibited without a permit
- Help keep wildlife wild – Please do not feed water fowl or wild animal
Report inappropriate conduct to Carmel Police: 317.571.2580
Report maintenance concerns to Carmel Clay Parks & Recreation: 317.573.4044